Thursday, June 12, 2008

I can't believe it... I'm actually going to see "The Book of Kells" in person...

I am totally stoked... in less than a week I will be viewing the ancient "Book of Kells" in person. My wife, Tami, and I are celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary with a trip to Ireland. Part of our trip is visiting Trinity College in Dublin where the "Book of Kells" has been kept since 1661.

The "Book of Kells" is an illuminated manuscript that is a masterwork of Western calligraphy and represents the pinnacle of Insular illumination. It is also widely regarded as Ireland's finest national treasure. Transcribed by Celtic monks ca. 800, it contains the four Gospels of the New Testament in Latin, together with various prefatory texts and tables.

The illustrations and ornamentation of the "Book of Kells" surpass that of other Insular Gospels in extravagance and complexity. The decoration combines traditional Christian iconography with the ornate swirling motifs typical of Insular art. Figures of humans, animals and mythical beasts together with intricate knotwork and interlacing patterns in vibrant colours enliven the manuscript's pages. Many of these minor decorative elements are imbued with Christian symbolism and so further emphasize the themes of the major illustrations.

Not only does the book contain the most important message one can ever read but it is truly a work of art as well...

Here is one of the the artistic images from the book showing Jesus Christ enthroned.



I'll give a full report of my personal experience of viewing this awesome treasure upon my return...

Bernie

No comments: